Now with the plates cut and fit to become the new camper-living-space-bed-interior-storage part of the caRV we still needed to treat the metal and install the hinged “head” part of the bed. After sanding down all the rough edges, I just did a simple Rust-O-leum gloss black I thought would look nice in the car.
The next three shots show clearly the “hinged” head part of the bed. In order to fit completely comfortably I needed a few more inches than I could get. Without having a hinged part extension to the bed I would have had to drive all the time with the drivers seat farther forward than I typically drive with. It would have been doable but this way I have full control over how I want to position the seat.
On the hinged side we had to build legs to hold up the main steel plate which already extended out over where your feet would normally be in the back seat. But on the passenger side of the car the “camper” plate was shorter to leave that area open to allow for stowing taller objects if necessary behind the passenger seat. So we just did a wood support along the line that held the actual backseat.
And with all the pieces mostly properly in place (but still not done) I couldn’t help but test it out that night. Even our dog Siady wanted to hang out.
Now it was on me to do the upholstery for the newly painted/treated steel plates. But that would have to be another day.